1958 - Contributed by John B. Rettew III
... Camp construction was under way with White Brothers of Coatesville being the successful bidder. In March, the new well was being drilled at the Explorer Base, Staff Showers were being added to the central Camp showers at Horseshoe and the Board had authorized the development of plans for two troop winter cabins.
Joseph H. Balthis was the Chairman of the Camping Committee replacing Dr. Anton B. Hess who had resigned due to business conflicts. It was noted that a severe snow storm in March had damaged many of the trees in Camp. This would provide a good deal of clean-up work for the Order of the Arrow before Camp opened.
Construction progressed at Horseshoe and the Explorer Base. At the Base, two activities shelters and five Adirondack shelters were under construction. Ernie Heegard was the first Director of the Explorer Base that summer and was assisted by Pete Tobiessen of Berwyn.
OA Lodge under construction - dedicated 1959
Contributed by John B. Rettew III
In 1958, the Order of the Arrow Lodge Building neared completion. Much work had been done over the years since ground was broken in 1952. Many hands were involved in its construction over that period of time. The key motivator for the construction was Milt Jones of Parkesburg who devised many different schemes to raise the money for the building and to move along its construction. Many craftsmen played a part in its erection. Joe Coates of Oxford, a stone mason, agreed to build the fireplace if the Lodge would furnish the rock. He spent many weekends with Lodge members in completing the fireplace. The mantle piece was the work of tombstone maker, Marvin Knauer. He also made the marker for over the mantelpiece that is engraved with the Lodge totem. There was a time capsule imbedded behind that stone marker to be opened by future Lodge members.
Thanks to Chief Lester, a loan from the Camp Expansion Fund was secured that permitted the Lodge Building to be completed. The Lodge Chief this year was Charles Ax, Jr. The labor was provided by our Lodge Brothers who spent many weekends of their time dedicated to the work at hand. While much effort was expended on the Building, our Lodge members also made great headway in preparing Camp for the opening day.
Scouts enjoy new Rothrock adirondacks
1958 - Contributed by John B. Rettew III
The Horseshoe Camp Staff was again headed by J. Holland Heck. Edward "Casey" Jones was back once more to serve as his Assistant and Program Director. James Fairful and Robert Meier were Commissary and Business Managers respectively. Lynn Ritchey was Waterfront Director assisted by Sandy McGinnes, Jon Boyer, and Tom Shock. At Campcraft was Kenneth Pence with Tom Orcutt, Jerry Shaw, Bill Givler and Wayne Brown. Norman Kaucher was Conservation Director; Arza Elder, Handicraft Director and David Paulovich in charge of the Trading Post. Other Staff members included David Morris, David Hess, Dan Mauger, Joe Goss, John Burton, Wayne Jenkins, James Crothers and Richard Moran. Pete Tobiessen of Berwyn Troop 11 was new to the Camp Staff this year as was Fred Berkheiser of Coatesville and Wayne Brown of Colora, Maryland. Among the Staff members was Dick Wyttenback of Devon.
The Camp Echo provides an insight into Camp activities that year. There was a Pioneers and Indian Game; a midweek campfire which was led by Ernie Heegard, undoubtedly, with some lively songs and tall tales; an Indoor Field Meet in Kindness Center; and, the Saturday night Campfire Indian Pageant put on by the Order of the Arrow. The Pageant this week was "Colena and the Going Up Ceremony."
However, the main event of the week, as it had been for many years, was the "TURTLE DERBY!" Our friendly Box and Painted turtles were collected each week by campers. There were all varieties...spotted ones, a turtle with only three legs and ones with special markings. On Saturday evening after supper, the big event would take place on the Parade Field where a ring was drawn to mark the course. Once the turtles were released in the center of the ring, the campers would hoot and holler for their favorite to win. Upon completion of the event, the turtles were released for campers of another week to find and race. For many young campers, it was the highlight of their week in camp to have a winner.
1958 saw the opening of the Council's new Explorer Base from which special expeditions for older Scouts were developed. Director of the Base was Ernie Heegard who would commute between both the Base and Horseshoe.
Reflecting on the Explorer Base of which he was Director, Ernie Heegard comments in 1994:
"The Base was much more than a canoe base. We had hiking trips and other assorted expeditions. The Base, however, was self-defeating because there was just so much that could be done with limited acilities and resources. Scouts would enjoy the first year there but did not return for other years as they do with the Camp Horseshoe programs.
The Council was recognized for its top Scouting Programs at the Region III meeting that year. Summer Camp attendance that summer reached 1,192 Scouts and Explorers representing 79 Troops. This placed the Council in the top six Councils in Region III.
A decision was made to spend Capital Funds being held for memorial purposes as requested by the Trustees of the E. H. Lawrence Estate. Upon satisfying the Trustees, funds were released for the construction of a lodge at the Explorer Base. It was named in memory of E. Hibberd Lawrence and has become known as Lawrence Lodge, an all purpose building. E. Hibberd Lawrence, after whom the Lodge was named, died in 1954. He had been a farmer on the Tudor Farm in Avondale. He had taken much interest in community affairs and undoubtedly had taken great interest in the work being done in the Council and by Chief Lester.
Also, work had commenced this fall on the two new winter lodges for Camp Horseshoe to complement the new Adirondack campsites that were opened in the past summer. They would be ready for service later in the year.