1956 - Contributed by John B. Rettew III
... At a subsequent Council meeting, Dr. Hess presented a plan for the complete renovation of our camping facilities, construction of a complete new camp unit and the development of preliminary plans for a third unit for review in 1970. The Board gave its approval and authorized President McIlvain to make arrangements with professional fund raising services. A steering committee was formed as an oversight group for the project. Ketchum, Inc. was selected to handle the Capital Campaign. We were on our way!
As an aside to this matter, the Council was bequeathed a sum of $10,000 from the estate of E. Hibberd Lawrence, Dec'd with the stipulation that the money be used for some capital purpose in memory of the deceased. This money was set aside for a future project at Camp.
A Scout demonstrates propelling his canoe while riding on the canoe gunnels.
Contributed by John B. Rettew III
To handle the pressing need for Horseshoe's 1956 season, the Board authorized the purchase of 9' x 9' wall tents for use at Horseshoe in camping season. These were to be used for the creation of a new campsite to meet anticipated needs. The Deputy Executive of Region III, James O. Boyer, was one of the Camp Inspectors this summer. He spent a considerable amount of time with Chief Lester and John H. Ware, 3rd touring Camp and seeing the programs in operation. He was greatly impressed with Horseshoe, its Camp Director J. Holland Heck, Assistant Camp Director "Casey" Jones along with Ernie Heegard and the rest of the Camp Staff and the Camp operations.
The Camp report for this season reflected the spirit of the Camp and Staff. A Naval Corpsman from the Naval Station at Bainbridge had done an outstanding job at the Health Lodge. There was a successful program provided for Explorer Scouts that season under the leadership of Ernie Heegard. The Staff was re-distributed to new sleeping quarters which freed another tent campsite for six troops in the course of the summer. An electric motor-driven fire siren was installed and tested daily at noon, replacing the ringing of the bell. Tom Myers handled the Trading Post; William Smeader was Aquatics Director; Samuel Thorndike was in charge of Camp Craft; and Ted Gettings was Handicraft Director. Of course, George Cole continued his work as our Camp Ranger. The Silver Buckle Award ( Note: one honor camper is elected for this award each week from his own troop. It is presented at the final night's Campfire.) had been established several years earlier and continued to prove popular among the troops as did the Troop and Patrol Honor plaques presented to qualifying units.
Early Explorer Camp set-up with pavillion. This photo was also reproduced and used as postcard.
Contributed by Anonymous
The post-camp report cited the selection of Ernie Heegard for the Explorer Program. "His leadership ability, natural acceptance by the boys and strong belief in the Exploring program made him outstanding for the directing of this new field." Activities had included: a Square Dance at Camp Tweedale; Canoe trips to Camp Rodney and up the Susquehanna River; hike to Broad Creek Scout Camp; Survival hike; and, a Mobilization Hike (midnight search for downed fliers). Quite a menu for our Senior Scouts!
There were nearly 800 individual campers from 56 different troops that summer. At the end of Camp the Staff had an elaborate banquet following which a surprise announcement was made that the Staff would go to Tweedale the next night for a Square Dance. The Staff went home in a great mood!