Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /home/hsraaorg/public_html/museum/_include/IncludeDatabase.php on line 10
HSRAA Museum - Camp Horseshoe Tent Sites
Directory Reservation Facilities Campsites
Camp Horseshoe Tent Sites

Horseshoe consists of a number of Tent Sites.  These sites consist of two person wall tents on wooden platforms.  They are not named after any particular pattern as is common in some camps - some campsites at Horseshoe refer to historical figures of Chester County (especially, Scouting in Chester County), or refer to culturally or geographically significant things within the region.

Edited by David B. Woodward  [Contribute Info]

Exhibit Content

Top of Page

Conestoga Campsite

Back to Exhibit Content

Dan Beard Campsite

Back to Exhibit Content

Lenni-Lenape Campsite

Back to Exhibit Content

Natureheart Campsite

Natureheart Campsite was a tent site located behind Dan Beard.  In the early days it was the site of a specialty Nature Camp.  During the '70s it was still occasionally used as a temporary overflow campsite.
Back to Exhibit Content

Octoraro Campsite

Back to Exhibit Content

Schraam Campsite

Back to Exhibit Content

Timberline Campsite

Back to Exhibit Content

Shawana Campsite

In 1957, after another fully occupied camping season, Dr. Anton Hess , Chairman of the Camping Committee, proposed the addition of 6 sites to be developed for the 1958 camping season. The new sites became Roberts, Rothrock, Octoraro, Lenni Lenape, Conestoga and Shawana. It is believed that this hills of Horseshoe were home to the Shawnee town known as “Old Shawana” and the site was named after the legendary place. The campsite was home to the infamous Royal Order of Siam, an unofficial club that offered membership by invitation, complete with its own degrees and rituals but mainly revolved around the food served after the ceremonies. The site was eventually decommissioned due to its tendency to become flooded during storms.
Back to Exhibit Content

Campsite Movies

       
The Green Pavilion was dedicated July 24th, 2014 in Lenni Lenape campsite, in honor of Clarke Green's 30 years as Scoutmaster of Troop 24. In this video, Linda Bastian introduces Clarke who has some fond memories to share.

2014 - Contributed by Andrew Coe  [Contribute Info] 
Ordeal candidates and OA members work on setting up the Schraam campsite at the June 2017 OA Service weekend.
2017 - Contributed by Andrew Coe  [Contribute Info] 
Back to Exhibit Content

Panoramics

A panoramic of Troop 78 in Dan Beard campsite.

Contributed by Andrew Smith  [Contribute Info] 
Back to Exhibit Content

Unidentified

Back to Exhibit Content